Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Thirsty Wood

I have a new piece of furniture.  And armoire.  I've been working on restoring it.  Trying the easiest things before going on the harder (namely taking off the old finish and putting on a new one).  I cleaned it.  I tested some wax.  I tried lemon oil.

As I was oiling the wood down, I saw the oil practically disappear into the wood as I used a small cloth to wipe it around.  Again and again I'd coat the wood in oil only to have it be sucked into the wood.  I became less careful about the thin coats of oil I was applying, until my applicator was soaked yellow, dripping oil down my arm.

And suddenly I was transported back to the words of a romance novel I read as a young teenager, which at the time I found silly.  The couple in the novel were restoring a very old house with it's antique furniture.  The applied oil to the wood, much as I was doing, becoming less cautious as they went along, until finally they began rubbing it all over their bodies, enjoying the slickness.  The ended up having hot, slippery sex there on the floor, oil everywhere.

I smiled at the vision, watching rivulets of oil trickle down my arm invitingly.  Maybe oil is a lot sexier than I give it credit for.

Just not lemon oil, I think.

1 comment:

Good Wife said...

Hee hee! Sounds like a good book! Its funny how certain things trigger the strangest memories!

xoxo