Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Grr.


I spent the earliest part of my morning wandering around trying to figure out how to get from the closed part of the military installation to the even MORE closed part of the military installation where the "rest" of my new job is. You see, unlike in the REAL world when I go to work, now, I have to go through not ONE but TWO military check points.

Except prior to today I've never had to go through the second one. The fun part is, it's really freaking hard to get in there. First I had to submit all of my information to someone who submitted it to someone else who then told me I could go into the area... for now. But I had to go through the visitor's center. But I get to guess which of the TWO I'm supposed to go to... and then guess what to do when I get there. That was fun.

I ended up hitting the wrong gate (NOT a visitor's center at all) and had to turn around... and then they took my driver's license to... well... I never did ask what they did with it. But the guy who took it for a bit drove up in a way cool black humvee with flashing lights. I want one. All that for going to the wrong gate. Nevermind that I knew WELL in advance it was the wrong gate... but there's no turn around so even though you see your doom coming... there's no hope for it.

I was directed to the CORRECT visitor's center, then. Everyone was in a line waiting to go through, so when everyone stopped, I stopped. The people in front of and behind me opened their cars... so I opened mine. I watched the dog sniff my car and move on. Everyone showed their IDs, so I quickly grabbed mine and showed it, too. Then everyone pulled out... so I pulled out too... oops. Wrong way. Wrong way again. And again. And then as I FINALLY figured out where I was going, I was told "oh, but you have to go INSIDE the building, now, too!" Oh. Thanks for ANYONE telling me.

After about a half hour there, I was directed to get my finger prints taken. No crimes for me anymore, I'd be caught. Dammit. "Thanks, and have a nice day" I was told. I stared blankly... "but... what do I do now?" "You can go." "but... I didn't get a badge..." "you don't need one." "But..." "Have a nice day." Right.....

So off to work I went. And now, I'm home. And I get to go through it all again tomorrow. Hopefully this time it'll be much smoother... unless I decide to hide some tasty doggy treats in my car. Just to make it more interesting....

Oh, and the guy who drove the black humvee? Way too cute. Way. In fact, there was no shortage of cuties today....

No comments: