Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Weird Eric

Eric is a guy at work whom I hired when worked in a different department. I only worked with him a bit, before moving on, but he's quite attractive. He's one of those lucky guys who will ALWAYS be hard to place age-wise, even as he gets older. He's somewhat younger than he looks, but being the age many place him at... I was sure he was younger. He's got boyish good looks along with the fashion sense of someone older. Basically, he's a bit unexpected and people find him hard to place.

He's also a little weird. I haven't found him to be weird in a bad way... just slightly off. A tough childhood, I learned. Coupled with a somewhat more normal adulthood which hasn't lasted nearly long enough, yet to make him completely normal. He hasn't learned the rules of being social. Sometimes he says the oddest things. And makes comments that are only mildly inappropriate or too personal. I don't mind so much because I understand that, been there, done that... still want to, sometimes.

When we first met, a friend at work make a suggestive comment about him and I hooking up. Delicately put, of course. His response? "eew." Oh, thank you, erase yourself from my list. So I find the rest of the story even odder.

The other day I went into an office he was sitting in, as I took the other desk he informed me "I need to get laid." He's informed me of this before. I smile and nod and generally don't get involved. "No, I mean, seriously. My life would be so much better if I could just get laid." I laughed at this and wanted desperately to say "oh, no it wouldn't!" But I had to be honest, "yeah, it would." He sighed dramatically. And I sat there and considered my options. I remain physically attracted to this young man. I was tempted to offer my services. On the other hand, I have this fear he's a virgin. And is there really any question that even if he's not a virgin he'd be as inept in that as he is in the rest of his life? Do I need that?

He changed the subject finally, informing me that a particular girl had given him her phone number and that ever guy in the store had to have it. I suggested that EVERYONE in the store has it... Except me. Which suits me fine. I considered for a moment and told him, "you know, it never occurred to me that maybe she's a slut. I mean, she has a boyfriend... But he did used to work here. Maybe she can solve your problem for you!" I laughed, shyly. Before finally amending myself "not to say that she is, or that she would. I'm just teasing." Because, of course, that's the sort of thing that could get me in trouble, fired maybe.

However the brief conversation, knowing what he wants... Knowing that I'm so willing to give it to him... And knowing that it's just a bad, bad idea sent me into a bit of a tizzy for the rest of the work day. I was extra nice to my male customers. I could have eaten them alive. And when I went home... that is when I told my husband he was going to need to give it up.

He still does.

And when I see weird Eric again... well... I'm not sure what my reaction will be. Next time he tells me he needs to get laid I'll have to suggest he internet. It always works for me. :-) Maybe I'll run into him there....

No comments: