Saturday, April 23, 2005

In love: a crush.

I hate to talk too much about my job. I don't want you to know what kind of work I do. I think the mystery is more interesting than the knowing. Which makes my story kind of hard to tell. But I'll try.

A man came in to pick up some things which belonged to him. He was probably about forty, with greying hair, dressed in a nice silvery grey suit. He drove up in a large black pick up truck. "How incongruous," I thought. But that inconsistancy had me interested, curious as to what he did in his spare time. What kind of very different person he was at home versus away from work.

The items he was there to pick up were large. And quite dirty. It had been raining and his items, while awaiting his attention had gotten wet. Seeing as I was not dressed quite as nicely as he was, and of course I work for the company which held the items, I set about getting his items into his truck. At which point he began helping. I stopped momentarily "um... are you sure you want to do that?" He said "it's fine" and went back to helping me. Interestingly, while I didn't study him it appears that I had managed to get dirty while he stayed clean. Must be magic.

The fact that he helped me, when there was no pressure for him to do so also pleased and interested me. Was it because I was a woman doing a "man's job" or because I'm merely a person laboring before him and while he was able bodied and therefore couldn't resisit helping? Or had he expected to do it himself? My crush grew exponentially.

Finally finished, I went to let him out of the gated area, walking quickly away. I considered the man mentally and decided I had a huge crush on the guy after only a few minutes. As he pulled his truck past me at the gate he gave me a couple of dollars for my work. Which was entirely unneccessary and unexpected. "You got away too quick!" he said. I smiled and accepted the money, though it wasn't like me to do so.

So as soon as he pulled away I thought I ought to have said something like "the suit, the truck... and you helping me... man... I just got a big ol' crush on you!" Or maybe that would have been really really weird.

No comments: