Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Gym Time

I worked out again, today. This is becoming such a regular thing it's almost a non-event. However, running into Hawk or whomever else is interesting that day is always a lovely event worth mentioning.

I was on the elliptical for about 15 minutes of my hour-long workout when Hawk came walking in. I stared pointedly at him and he nodded at me as if to say "yes, I know" before wandering to the back of the room to do something to the windows. Then he joined me on the ellipticals taking the one next to me. We basically ignored each other since I had my headphones on, but it was nice having him nearby. I watched as he set the time limit to 30 minutes thinking "damn, I'll still have 15 minutes when he's done." So I kept watching his heartrate, pointedly. Mine was hovering at about 164, a reasonably hard pace I can keep going for the entire hour. He raised the resistance (mine was low) and went at least as fast as me... an his heartrate hovered around 129. Fucker.

Eventually, I took off my headphones and we started talking about the "clowns" who come into the gym and try very hard to hurt themselves with the weights. As we talked he did an extra five minutes on the elliptical. "I have ten more minutes," I told him. So he stayed and talked to me, standing nearby. "Do you want me to run?" he asked, smiling. "Sure," I said, "for about 8 minutes." He shook his head, "If I'm going to run it's going to be 15 minutes." It was my turn to shake my head "I'm NOT staying that long." So he talked to me for the remaining 8 minutes and then he waited for my clean my machine and we wandered into the weight room together where I made him give me a short tour. I like that guy.

After I got home husband and I had a long conversation as I re-discussed many of the things Hawk and I talked about. Suddenly husband says "if you want to go with the gym on me on Sunday, we can go." I stared at him, "..what?" "We can go to the gym together on Sunday. I can take you into the weight room and show you how to do stuff in there." I was mildly irritated about it and I told him as much "look, last time we went to the gym together you were all pissy because clearly you thought I was going to follow you around and bug you about how to do things, so I made it a POINT not to. Not that I was going to anyway. So NOW all of a sudden you WANT me to follow you around and ask you questions. WhatEVER." He stared at me, saying nothing so I added, "You're just jealous because I'm hanging around Hawk and you're all 'I'm cool, too.'" He continued to stare blandly at me so then I added "you know, considering how you acted last time and all the other times I've asked to go to the gym with you... seems to me you just don't know what you want." He continued to stare at me so I also added "Whatever. Now you're all mad." "I am not," he said.

Right.

We may go to the gym together on Sunday. But if we do, I certainly won't be following him around like he seems to suddenly want me to. I want to appreciate his offer, but I asked him for YEARS to workout with me and he always declined. Now all of a sudden this sistah be doin' it for herself and he wants in? Maybe he should have thought about that before. On the other hand, I do appreciate and value the fact that he's been very supportive of me in this and he's offering MORE support by offering to go with me on Sunday. Instead of resenting all the times he's told me "no" I suppose I should be grateful that he's had something of a change of heart and take advantage. The circumstances, though, are hard to overlook.

No comments: