Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Hey, baby.

No sign of Sam. I'm starting to wonder if I scared him off. Not that it much matters, I suppose. But I LIKE him, dammit. Or I did. Until he stopped coming by. The fuck.

Meanwhile, the guy that I sort of accidentally seemed to be coming on to who then turned around and sort of asked me out came in again tonight. This is the guy I shorted $20 a bit ago and had to let him back into the store to give him his money back and then started considering what I could be doing to him in that there store with the lights off and the door locked. Anyway. So he showed up.

I acknowledged him as he entered which I usually do to all my evening customers and he wandered into the store. A bit later we were the only ones in the store and he walked up. "Hello," I said again, as I always do. "Hey baby," he said. I wasn't sure I could possibly have heard him right so I ignored it. We went on to have a short conversation with me asking all the questions "in the middle of your work day again?" I asked... etc. When I asked if he wanted a bag he responded "negative" and I mocked him for it. "You know, the only people who say 'negative' when they mean 'no' are the ones fresh from basic... and you are certainly NOT fresh from basic." Dude's e-6, okay? So then I went on to complain about who I get ma'amed to death by those guys and he told me "yeah, that's why I start with 'hey, baby.'" Which pretty much affirmed that I had heard him right.

I wasn't really sure what to say to that, though. Because I do kind of want to encourage him but... maybe not.... So I smiled and told him I hadn't noticed him say it. Which was a lie. But that's okay. Sometimes it's appropriate.

So, anyway. Yeah.

And then there was the over sharing guy today. A hot guy maybe my age. He bought some chewing tobacco and went on to tell me about how he'd intended to quit and actually had for a couple of months until his wife cheated on him. But now they were in therapy and trying to fix things and who knew what was going to come of it but he was going to some training for several weeks and he thought it was going to be quite a test and who knew what would happen. I was vaguely tempted to say one of two things: 1. Wanna get back at her with me?!? 2. You're in the military. What did you think was going to happen? However, I said neither of these things but instead told him "I'm sorry that happened to you. Good luck" and left it at that. I won't recognize him next time he comes in, which is a shame because he was cute. Even if he did over share inappropriately.

No comments: