Sunday, February 12, 2006

Power

Last night it snowed. A lot. I'll still work in the morning, though, for sure. This morning I woke up as soon as the hepa filter next to the bed stopped making its white noise. At least I think I woke up as soon as it stopped. I couldn't tell what time it was because my clock was off, too, but it was dark out. I went to the bathroom in the dark and then back to bed glad that the power outage happened while we were asleep.

Hours later I woke again. To the silence. And more light. Still no power. The bedroom was cooler. I got up and let the dogs go outside, dressing myself in warm clothes as the downstairs was much cooler than I prefer. I checked in on the rats who looked none the worse for the wear... yet... and sat down at the computer, turning the chair to face the other way and think on what to do with my day. I tried to think of something to do to make sure that if the power didn't come on and the house continued to cool I could at least keep the rats from freezing. I came up with several ideas, all of them involving electricity. Useless. Finally, I decided if the house got too cold I'd take them up to the "safe room" (the bedroom) where at least our body heat was keeping things from getting too cold.

And then I went back to bed and slept. A few hours later I woke up again. This time to the sound of the filter running. I leapt from bed and raced downstairs to turn on the computer. It loaded. Yahoo started. And the power went out again. And stayed off. For at least another hour and a half. I went back to bed a few minutes after it turned off.

Husband was awake then. I bitched out the lack of power. And my inability to come up with a reasonable way of keeping the ratties from freezing if it came down to it. After all, they're pet not acclimated to temperature extremes. As we talked the dogs chased each other around the bed. I was going to stop them but husband pointed out they were burning lots of energy which would convert nicely to heat. So they romped and I lay there.

I couldn't help but thinking that we were there. In bed. Together. Wide awake. The bedroom still just warm enough to be comfortable. And we could be really enjoying one another's company. Generating some heat of our own. Except just two nights ago I found myself touching and rubbing myself against him in a way which I found very arousing. Something I made clear to him. And while he stayed to touch and pet me, he didn't take things past that point of caressing. To put myself out there again in that way with him, just two days later... I'd rather just go back to sleep. Which I did.

The power came back on an hour and a half later and has been on ever since. And I keep thinking about what romantic, sexy, slow loving I could have enjoyed this morning. If only....

If only.

No comments: