Friday, January 20, 2006

Busy Day

Somehow I ended up spending like the ENTIRE day flirting. It was really fun.

Wade came in and I made some joke about taking his card (because he lost it in the store once). And I mentioned "I ordered something on the internet once," not mentioning it was exercise equipment, and he returned IMMEDIATELY with "what color?!?' And I started laughing and turning a little red because he followed that with, "didn't think I'd figure out what it was, did you?!" I never bothered to correct him. Although I ought to have told him "no, THAT is hot pink." Since it is. But I did not.

I forget how much flirting I did for much of the rest of the day but it involved a lot of me blushing and generally being in a good mood and laughing a lot. I was really happy today. Really happy.

Nils came in, wearing his sunglasses, and was the only one in the store for a while. He wasted time wandering around but finally came up to talk to me. Clearly he's only interested in talking to me if there aren't any other people around. And I'm only really interested in talking to him if my coworkers aren't around.

I asked him if his co-worker said anything to him. He didn't know what I meant so I told him "about your drink... he said he was doing a run and I guessed that it was for you. Kinda freaked him out." He smiled a little at that and said "which guy?" and started to describe someone. I stared blankly at him, "I really don't remember." He looked at me and asked "you didn't look deep into his eyes...?" "umm... no..." I replied.

"I guess I should watch what I'm saying about that, wouldn't want your husband to jump out at me." I laughed at the idea. And he finally said "you ARE married, aren't you?" To which I agreed. And he said something like "well, I wouldn't want him jumping at me for" ...whatever it was he said. I wish to god I remember but I don't remember thinking "he's coming on to me!" it was something more innocently phrased. I just can't REMEMBER. And it's irritating as shit. Anyway, I responded that my husband would most assuredly NOT pop up to say anything and he said "how do you know that?" "I just know," I said. "But how?" He asked. And at this point my brain was swirling so I put my mouth on autopilot and said "you wouldn't want to know." to which he responded "you're probably right." and I thought FUCKING IDIOT WOMAN!!!

Right around this time MP came walking in. MP whom I don't want to fuck. MP whom I am slowly becoming comfortable being around, again. I think I said something vaguely snide to him and Nils asked "Do you have a problem with MP? MP's a great guy!" Or something. Except I know ALL about MP. Anyway, MP and I continue to tease one another good naturedly. MP moved deeper into the store.

So then Nils started talking to me about working out and sugar. I'm not really sure why he was telling me this (except to make MP think he was talking to me about nothing important), but he was telling me about how you should eat sugar after you work out because of blah blah blah. At about that point he took off his sunglasses, so I interrupted him to thank him because that's this THING we have going about his sunglasses. He nods and said something like "I wanted to be able to LOOK at you" or something like that, eye contact and all that. At which point I was, in fact, looking into his beautiful dark eyes (which I swear are dark blue but I might be mistaken) and that's when everything he said became "blah blah blah" and my heart started to pound so that I could FEEL my pulse throughout my whole body.

But he kept talking. And I just wanted to grab his hand and tell him "feel my heart beat... that's what happens every time I see you" Or to just say "I have the BIGGEST crush on you." Except he just... kept talking... and I swear I didn't understand a word he said.

And then MP walked up and it was all over. Nils left and I wanted to shoot myself AND MP for ruining what had such potential.

But I was in a good mood for the rest of the day because I do believe if someone asks if you're married... well... there's always an ulterior motive. And the fact that he tried elicitation* tells me that he was looking for a way not to have to ask me outright but ended up doing so anyway because I didn't play along. I envisioned how the conversation could have continued and am JOYOUS that I'll be working the same days as him for the next week and will likely have a chance to correct my terrible "you wouldn't want to know" mistake. Finally. My opening may just be here....

Meanwhile, Sam never did show up. I did a search in the online white pages and decided to try to stalk him. I suspect his address and phone number are listed and that he's almost as local as I could want. I just wish he lived alone....

*word used courtesy of Keith who's tried to teach me that particular skill and in so doing helped me to recognize it, too.

No comments: