Friday, January 13, 2006

I forgot about the one guy.

So the last thing that happened last night is sometime around closing this guy comes in. I've seen this guy before a few times. He looks quite a lot like my husband with his build, coloring, and hair (or lack thereof). He's also always acted relatively friendly toward me so last night I was slightly more talkative. Plus, Sam had just been in and I was still floating from that experience so I was feeling particularly good. At no point was I actually interested in this guy. I was just happy and talkative.

So I'm sitting there and I ask him about the particularly good weather we've been having lately and whether he got to enjoy any of it (as it was dark now). "No," he replied, "I was asleep for most of it. I have to work the night shift tonight." "That's not fun," I said, "but maybe it'll be a really nice weekend, too so you'll get to enjoy that.... oh... wait... you work the night shift? Do you GET the long weekend? I know most of you get screwed out of that." "Yeah," he told me, "I get the weekend off this week. Not tonight, though, unfortunately. I'd much rather be in a bar. Although I don't like to go alone." I smiled, "so... what bars do you go to? Something around here?" He shrugged, "just off base." "Ah," I said, going further, "I know of Gomer's and Drunkies (not the real names, of course) but I've never known anyone who's gone to any of the other bars around here... where do you go?" "Ah, just where ever." he replied. I thought about it for a second and said "you know... I don't really go to bars. Haven't been in over a year. I was just curious what's going on around here." "I just go where ever the car takes me, in the next town" he said. "Ah," I thought again for a second, "I wasn't suggesting that I was going to go hunt you down" realising how I might be coming off. He nodded and started to leave before stopping at the door, "yeah... you know I just need to find someone to go WITH." I was already walking away at that point so I stopped and smiled, "Well, I wish you luck." And wandered away.

I'm not sure but I think my interest in his bar-attending habits came across far too much like I wanted to go out with him or something. But what the fuck do I know. It was really, really odd to me. I wish Nils would be so easy....

No comments: