Friday, January 20, 2006

Not so good.

I woke up and rolled over in bed and felt vaguely like I was going to vomit. This is not the way I like to start a morning. It was an hour before I needed to get up and there I was awake and feeling ill. I went back to sleep for about twenty minutes and woke up again, this time with a mild headache. And that vaguely nauseous feeling. Great. So I gave in and got up. I still don't feel so hot. I'd better NOT be sick or I'll kill me. This would really fuck up my Saturday date.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go to work today. And I'm going to pretend NOT to care if Sam is there or not. And I'm going to do approximately the same thing I did yesterday, looking up hopefully every time anyone comes in... and being disappointed when it's not him. The story of my life.

I forgot to mention a weird thing that happened last night. The guy that I sort of accidentally asked out the other day when asking him about the bars he goes to came in. I treated him like I do any other customer and didn't really get into a conversation with him this time. I gave him his merchandise and he left.

Cut to almost an hour later as I sat counting the store's deposit. It was $20 over. I recounted the drawer, the deposit, and the safe. Twice. And was still $20 over. Finally, I sighed heavily and put the $20 in the safe with a note that it probably belonged to a customer or I'd miscounted and it belonged to the next day's deposit.

Cut to another hour later as I've set the alarm, locked the store and am heading to my car. I see this man in his camouflage uniform walking down the path that (among other things) leads to the store. Carrying the store's money I get nervous when I see people out there and tend to eye them rather carefully, all the while trying not to seem to much like I'm watching them or looking nervous. And then he started walking toward me, veering off the path. And then he called my name. Turns out it was the guy... and it was his money I'd stolen. I was really super embarrassed and brought him into the store to give him his money back. As we both left, I thought to myself that if he'd actually asked me out... I might go. Even if he does look suspiciously like my husband. And then I started mentally exploring the idea of what delights I could have enjoyed in that darkened store... just him and me....

I wonder what he'd think if he knew I'd been idly fantasizing about him.

Tonight I get the final plans for what's going to happen on Saturday with Troy. I'm increasingly nervous....

No comments: